Sunday, January 13, 2013

Day SEVEN: Uhuru Peak


                Finally, 45 minutes after Stella Point we reached the highest point in Africa! This trail from Stella Point to Uhuru Peak was technically very simple. However the faces making the way to this final point (including mine!) looked miserable. I for one was dealing with a pounding headache and nausea from altitude sickness, kept at bay until halfway up the summit climb. Others in my group were dealing with nausea, stomach issues, and even a sinus infection so the altitude was hitting us all (except for one!) like a ton of bricks. Other climbers I passed on the way down looked as miserable as I felt too. One poor woman could not stand up straight and was swaying side to side as her poor guide was leading her along the path.

                As I was walking up to the peak, feeling that all my strength had been used up about 2 hours ago and wondering how in the world I would even have the power to descend to base camp, I noticed that the hikers coming back from Uhuru seemed to have a little spring in their step. They were smiling, and telling me I was almost there. I couldn't imagine where this energy was coming from.

                But, you know what? Getting to this sign, knowing you have made it this far, your ultimate goal being reached after all that time, preparation, money, focus, and HELP (from our guides, cooks, and porters!), it really did put a smile on my face as I walked back down to Stella Point. :) (It did not, however, put a spring in my step as I sprained my ankle on the way here so no springing for me for a while!)



Made it to the top!!



Two of our awesome guides, I would not have made it if it weren't for these guys!



Glaciers and clouds at Uhuru Peak




Looking out to the crater and ridge



Mt. Meru from Uhuru Peak



The descent – looks harmless but was full of sandy gravel, I felt like I was skiing most of the way as every step brought a few inches of sliding through the sand. 



A welcome sight – Barafu Camp! We ate lunch here, rested for an hour and proceeded 4 more hours to Mweka Camp (5,400 ft. = so much oxygen!)


                 By the time we got to Mweka my knees and ankles were killing me but… my headache was almost gone and I could keep down food again. And the accomplishment of having made it to the TOP was still fresh in everyone’s minds.




1 comment: