Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Back in the U. S. of A.

I’m in the USA! Crazy pants… well, actually no crazy pants today… I’m just wearing jeans… :)


It was weird, I was really looking forward to the different foods awaiting me in the U.S. and then when I got here around breakfast time and passed all the Starbucks, Coffee Beans, and general coffee shops full of sugary scones and muffins… I was really craving some kachori padjhi. Dang, that stuff is good… :)

I was able to finally find something though in the shape of breakfast TACOS at Chilis (so not quite your authentic Mexican cuisine but hey, I’m in Chicago at an airport…)


Other surprising things for this Bihari girl:

1) Central heating. It’s COLD in Chicago. Or at least it looks cold from inside this really warm airport. Dressing for spending all day in an office with no heat means that I was actually drenched in sweat by the time I passed customs!

2) SPANISH. Got on the concourse to go to my gate. So did a Spanish family. They were trying to get to terminal 3… and kept telling their daughter to grab onto the pole instead of her suitcase as the train started moving. What? People speaking in another language AND me understanding them? Hooray! :)

3) BLACK COFFEE. I ordered coffee and got it straight up black. No questions asked. Boom.

4) TIME ZONES. Almost missed my flight because my laptop was on Bihari time. Oops! :-O


One last unrelated commentary:

Once you get on the flight and it actually takes off…. Air India is where it’s at. Flight from Delhi to Chicago has fun movie/tv screens with an ample supply of Bollywood movies with English subtitles. I loved every one of them…. AND I loved the Indian woman next to me. Throughout the trip I helped her open her water bottles, peanut packages, and fill out her US entry form (hopefully correctly?) And I scared the bijezis out of her when I decided not to wake her but just crawl over her instead when I needed to go to the bathroom (PS – not recommended!)

No comments:

Post a Comment