Saturday, December 10, 2011

Tournaments and Shows

It wasn't all work at the retreat... Each night we had a different festivity to keep Amanda from getting her reports written! :) First night was VOLLEYBALL... which means, I was pretty much real excited. Unfortunately for my girly arms the "volleyball" was actually a sorta flat soccer ball so no jump serves but the "practice" ball WAS a volleyball (go figure?) so I tore it up over on the practice field. Boom.

The second night was CRICKET. I don't know how to play cricket. I guess I should have printed up a shirt stating that fact because no one on the team knew this until I was on the field. I still was allowed to play though and fielded a couple balls, even scored two runs! My first hit, however, will stay the most memorable as I was so excited to hit something that I reacted on instinct... and instinct is... baseball :-0 So, I dropped the bat and ran like the wind. Unfortunately the guy running from the other side of the pitch was so confused by my antics that he got tagged out.. :(

Third night was talent show night. True to form I did NOT participate (have any of you all ever seen me participate in one of these? Nope..) :) But did witness many a new experience.

1. There are THREE (and perhaps only three?) things that you can do at a talent show. Singing, dancing, and mimicry! (Doing impressions of other people in the group.) I was quite used to the first two but though it was interesting that A) it seemed to be only those 3 and B) mimicry was clearly something everyone expected as part of a talent show.

2. The MC is called the comparer. Also, no one seemed to know what an MC was.

3. Dance parties: In India it would appear the guys are the ones gettin' down while the girls are on the fringe. Completely the opposite from what I was used to... though probably a good thing given the girl : guy ratio was probably at least 1 : 10.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience and I'm SO glad I went!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment